Today isn’t bad, and it isn’t even busy, per se. It just isn’t great either. From the moment I got to work at 7:00 AM, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. We have internal auditors on site, starting today. We were also made aware that they will be here, on site, until around the 28th of the month. That seems like a long time to me, but I’m not an auditor, so what do I know?
Anyways, the day started hectic as hell, per usual on a Monday, which is fine. But a crisis occurred nearly immediately that I had to help solve. Again, totally fine. But up until sometime around lunchtime, I didn’t stop moving. My Apple Watch said that I met all my goals before 9:00AM, which is concerning, considering I have a desk job.
Anywhosers (I’m Midwestern as hell, leave me alone), one of the most frustrating parts of my day came when I was in a meeting that was relatively important for me to be a part of because it pertained to an upcoming event I need to be in charge of and an “emergency” came up. Thankfully I was finishing up said meeting when this occurred. But, of course, I was very concerned that two different individuals entered my locked office after seeing not one, but two, signs on my door that said I was in a meeting. I very quickly panicked, only to find out that this “emergency” was in regards to a certified letter that was being delivered by a postal worker. They were worried that they didn’t know who the letter was for and that they would get in trouble signing for it or opening it. To this I replied, “I love doing illegal things. I will handle this,” and angrily stormed up front. Upon speaking to this postal worker, I found that no one actually attempted to make out the name on the letter and that it was for someone that worked here that I knew. I promptly signed for it and flew up two more flights of stairs to deliver it to the proper human being. I was rather miffed about this for quite some time after the fact, but I cooled down eventually. I should also mention that I love these two coworkers dearly! It was just a lot at the moment, but was thankfully solved easily.
From then on out, the day was a bit smoother. Still busy, mostly with things that didn’t pertain to me, but I’m a chronic helper. If I have to be at work, I might as well get something accomplished, right? I spent the majority of the day in another coworker’s office (the one who’s keypad lock broke last week) hiding from my other responsibilities and helping with his! It feels go to be helpful where I can when I run out of my own things to do. In fact, I’m still currently hiding in his office as I type this right now.
The twist to the day was that my coworker’s sweet fiancé called to ask if he could take him to lunch and I was invited too, which is super cool and special to me! I have this nagging fear that his fiancé hates me because I’m such a bad influence on him, and I get worried he doesn’t want me spending time with him outside of work. Will this stop us? No, absolutely not. Will I feel bad? Yes, very much so, probably. BUT, today he invited me along, and we had a great time! I just adore the two of them, and I’m very thankful to have them in my life. We get along so well because we’re so similar, and by similar I mean pessimistic. His fiancé is like a little ray of sunshine compared to our raging thunderstorms most days, today included. Today, when he called about going to lunch, he was the happiest I had ever heard him since meeting him. He had just finished his last homework assignment and was calling to celebrate officially being done with school. He sounded so, so happy. And of course, my coworker and I were drowning in the nonsense of the constant stupidity that surrounded us at work. It’s like we were in different worlds. But, his fiancé came to pick us up, and we had a quick little lunch adventure at one of my favorite local restaurants. We had a nice time, and it was so good to get out of this office for a little while. Plus, I absolutely love my coworker’s fiancé to death, and I just want him to love me back, so I’m really hoping that this helps. I should also note that said coworker and I are very good friends outside of work, because as I sit here typing this out, I hear how weird and creepy it sounds. I can assure you, dear reader, that it is much less creepy than you might think. Or, maybe not. It might still be just as creepy. At any rate, I’m hoping he’ll be my real-life friend now! I doubt that it will work, but a girl can dream.
I’m really hoping now that we’re back here and things have calmed down that we can just have a nice slow rest of the day. I should be out of here within the hour, and I am very much looking forward to it. In the meantime, though, fun coworker and I are sitting in his office admiring the new lights I got him that change colors while he works on not-fun things and I type all of this up about him. We’ve literally just been coexisting and working and laughing and crying. All we do is gossip about other coworkers that we don’t like and giggle while we work, and it’s been very refreshing after such a silly time this morning. He brings me a lot of joy when it’s often hard to find at work. I have so many friends here that I am so grateful for, but his office is the easiest to hide in! I swear, I love them all the same. It’s just nice to hide and also laugh until there are tears running down my face, too!
The rest of the day should be much, much better than work though! I have some plans to watch some more fun movies tonight with my besties again. We ran through the entire Spider Verse, watching every Spider-Man ever made, including the newest one. Now, I think we’re moving on to Doctor Strange because I’d never really seen any of them except in the Avengers occasionally. I’m very excited because I’ve very much enjoyed the other movies we’ve been watching together. Hoping for a good night with good people before I head back home to check on my husband, who fell and hurt his back pretty bad last night mowing the yard.
Before anyone thinks the worst of me, please know that I babied him all night after it happened. First of all, this grown adult man fell while mowing, but then CONTINUED TO MOW THE YARD. I was horrified by this, knowing that he did not immediately alert me that he was hurt. Instead, in typical man fashion, he worked through it, despite the pain. I made him take a lukewarm shower to listen the muscles in his back, got him to take an appropriate amount of pain killers, set up pillows and a heating pad in bed, made him dinner also in bed, and took care of him as if he were a kid. I cancelled on his golf for today for him, and I even tried to force him to stay home from work. But, I will have you all know that he did go into work today and is feeling better. Don’t think I just abandoned the man in his hour of need. He’s still hurting, but he’s been getting better and better all day long! Which means I am fully allowed to ditch him and watch movies with my friends while he lays around and relaxes without me.
No fun photos for my post today. But I will say, work and husband aside, it’s been an okay day grief-wise. I actually had a really cute (and very stupid) reminder of my mom today while texting a good friend. She said something funny, but it ended up reminding me of a dumb inside joke my mom and I used to have together. Instead of crying, which I’m sure I’ll do later, I smiled and laughed and told my friend all about it. It’s the little things, even when they’re silly, that really make me smile when I think about my mom. I’m never going to stop being sad, and I’m certainly never going to stop crying, but I hope I never stop laughing either. That’s all for now, folks.
Xo,
K
No comments:
Post a Comment