Thursday, October 26, 2017

Broke

Everyone else gets quarters or dollar bills.

Not me; I got a penny.

Without waking me, a shimmering penny was slipped under my pillow.


I awoke so full of merriment.

Excited, I rushed to show them.

They had painted looks of astonishment on their faces already.

She kissed my forehead, 

Lipstick lingering,

And told me to show my friends.


I did, I showed my friends.

They laughed and said I was weird.

Just because we weren’t as well-off.

It hurt when they made fun of me.

They said we weren’t normal,

All because of a penny.


But, I didn’t think so.

I loved it.

Being different from the rest?

I was thankful.


But I still wonder how they did it,

Slipped that penny under my pillow and made those perfect footprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updates on Life & Grief & Everything in Between

Wow. Where to even begin? It's been a bad time, I cannot lie. A lot of good has happened, but it seems like so much more bad has happene...